Smoked Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
This classic Cajun dish with sliced smoked sausage, shrimp, bell peppers and okra in a rich broth is ladled into bowls over rice.
Start to Finish: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
1 (14 ounce) package Hillshire Farm® Smoked Sausage
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup flour
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup frozen sliced okra
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1/2 pound large raw shrimp, peeled, deveined
3 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice
1. CUT sausage into 1/2-inch slices; set aside.
2. COMBINE flour and oil in a 4 quart heavy saucepan; mixing until
smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Reduce heat
to medium; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until roux is a dark reddish
3. STIR in onion, bell peppers, celery, okra and garlic; cook and stir 8-10
minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in Cajun seasoning.
4. STIR in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
Reduce heat to low; stir in sausage, pepper sauce, black pepper and
salt to taste. Simmer, covered 15 minutes. Remove cover.
5. BRING to a boil; add shrimp and cook 3 minutes or until shrimp turn
6. LADLE gumbo into bowls with rice.